Sunday, February 3, 2008

Across Town Walks and the Toronto Sun.

Every Monday to Friday, it's the same thing. Alarm goes off at 6:15. Shower till 6:25. Get dressed, eat breakfast, check things out on my computer. Out of the house by 6:50. If I'm fast enough, I can catch the bus that goes by at 6:55. It's the comfy bus that has very cushiony chairs, and a moustached man who isn't in the right line of work, because he is one of the happiest, good-natured people I have ever come across, and he drives a bus. Every day, on the garbage, he has written a message - usually something about having a fantastic day. It cheers me up a little. Every time you get off the bus, he says something uplifting, something that barely any of the others do. My favorite so far - "have a grooooovy day" This guy may not be married or be the "coolest of cats", but its a good start to the morning.

I usually sleep the whole ride towards downtown, which probably just makes me more tired. Every day, I get off the 1 Woodlawn, and hop on the 9 Stone Road Mall. Everyday, I walk by the newspapers, and think to myself, I should really buy one. So this most recent Friday, I did just that. I picked up the Toronto Sun, and actually, I'm pretty sure I looked around me to make sure no one was watching because I felt so awkward. Reading this thing though, I felt so accomplished. I read it front to back twice throughout the day. It's just such a wealth of information. I actually got excited today when I received two loonies in change. It means I can buy 2 papers. Can't wait.


We went out to Tony's on Friday to celebrate Ben's 22nd birthday. Man, people are getting old. We had a great night playing pool and hanging out. At 1:30 or so, we started to leave. Me, Ben, and Reuben had ample opportunity to get rides home (there was 9 empty car seats between the vehicles)but we decided it would be best to walk it, keeping in mind that my house is a good hour and a half hike. It didn't seem too cold despite the fact that it was somewhere around negative 15 and my toes and fingers were frozen. We got Mega Pizza, after which Reuben promptly dropped all of his on the well-trodden grey snowed ground. No matter, I picked it up and handed it to him, and he ate the whole thing. His reasoning: It's just water. Saw some interesting people downtown as is obviously always the case, and we started our trek. We took a way that none of us had even seen before, and while I had my doubts that we were going in the right direction, I felt we were being led the right way. It was a great bonding experience, and we had a fantastic man-to-man. It seems like life is so hustle and bustle these days. Everyone's got their iPods and their cell phones and their new cars, no one seems to just enjoy what we have naturally. It felt great just to be a part of nature, just as it was intended to be. Even if we were lighted by street lamps and directed by road signs. A little over ninety minutes after we began, I was at my door, Ben and Reuben having walked me right to it. I was very appreciative of this, especially since the walk from Tony's to Ben's house is only half hour, and by walking me home, their walk took two and a half hours. They didn't even complain.

Two challenges today: Buy a newspaper. Read it. You may be different from me, but you may find you'll enjoy it, and it might make you learn something.

Embrace nature sometime. Go for a walk. Forget about bustle and just breathe it in. We live in a masterfully created world, and though I hate winter and though often times I take God's creation for granted, it felt good to be a part of it and appreciate it for what it is.

No comments: