Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sushi? That's where they take food and not cook it, right?

Sushi will be my downfall. Wait, that makes it sound bad, doesn't it? Ok, it's my up-not-fall. Better? Freaking sushi. I mean (and bear with me for the next little bit, I'm writing from the heart here. I ain't adding any professional englishism to these next words. These are the words I would say to you, in person) I haven't always loved weird foods. I was always kinda skeptical of weird things. And things that aren't even that weird. But hell, I'll try leather shoe now, just season it correctly, please. But one of the things I have always enjoyed is a good sushi. And don't be politically Japanesically correct with me now, I don't need it. Sushi is sushi to me. Don't care if its california rolls or raw (insert your pet's name here). To me, it is what it is. I always said I wouldn't try the raw stuff. Creeps me out. So I just ate the crab ones or chicken ones.. keeping it simple for a simple guy. But recently, I've branched out a bit. Spread my wings if you will. Raw's in, but with it comes the tapeworm, or so I've heard. Oh well. So tonight we (we being me and others) checked out the new place downtown that I can't remember the name of. All you can eat, 20 bucks. May seem expensive, but it's not. I've paid more than that for a fifth of the food. I had some crazy things. Eel, salmon skin, full soft shell crab within a maki, it's all good.

I have a lot of respect for the Japanese. In this age, we like to cook your food twice, pre-cook food, deep-fry food, all to make it safe to eat. But it's also very unhealthy. These Japaners are just like "Screw it. See this salmon I just caught? There, it's on your place. Eat it, it's good." They probably say that in Japanese but I think I'm the only one around here that speaks the language so I won't bother. But the thing is, they are so right. They got cajones. (balls)

These days, I have a whole lot more respect for them than I do for the Chinese. Typical Chinese household:

"Dear, we are out of rice."
"Well just throw Fluffy in the crackpot then"
"Ok."

Now, I love meat. I swear though, if you ever even TALK about cooking my cat, we are finished. No two ways about it.


Last thing. Might I encourage all of you this weekend to go out there and try something different? I'm just talking about food at the moment. Try something you wouldn't normally eat. Unless it gives you hives. Seriously, we always assume we don't like something before we even try it. The Japanese wouldn't eat raw fish if it wasn't good. The Polish wouldn't eat perogies if they weren't the best meal in the whole world. The Italians wouldn't eat italian food if they didn't steal all their ideas from China. You get my point. And that's my challenge to you. Keep chewin'.

No comments: